World War II Veteran Laid To Rest After 75 Years

Story by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Charles D. Gaddis IV, Navy Public Affairs Support Element, Det. Northwest

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

BREMERTON, Wash. – World War II (WWII) veteran Lt. Julian Jordan was laid to rest at the Lewis Funeral Chapel 75 years after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Aug. 29.

Jordan was assigned to the Nevada-class battleship USS Oklahoma (BB 37) as the assistant engineering officer, at the age of 37, when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor where the ship was moored.

“The only reason we can do what we do today with our freedoms and liberties is because of what those who came before us accomplished,” said Machinist’s Mate 2nd Class David Gorey, assigned to Naval Base Kitsap (NBK). “With what’s going on in the world today, it puts it all into perspective.”

Jordan’s remains were recovered from the USS Oklahoma along with many of his shipmates, but were unidentified until recently through DNA profiling.

“This is a very gratifying moment and it has been a long time coming,” said Julian “Jay” Remers, the grandson of the WWII hero. “We’ve been eagerly anticipating this time to come.”

Sailors assigned to NBK participated in the ceremony in dress white uniforms and honor in their hearts.

“It’s an honor to participate in this ceremony, to have active duty personnel render full honors is a privilege,” said Lt. Alfredo Lozano, assigned to NBK. “We don’t get this opportunity very often and to lay to rest a WWII veteran means the Navy still holds tradition and the highest regard to our veterans.”

The traditional 21-gun salute was demonstrated during the ceremony alongside “Taps” being played on the bugle.

“I’m humbled and honored to be here with the family and assist them lay to rest a WWII hero,” said Senior Chief Machinist’s Mate (Auxiliary) Jerrold Bishop, assigned to Trident Training Facility Bangor. “It is important to remember those who gave their lives to ensure our freedoms.”

A folded American flag alongside a pouch holding the shell castings from the 21-gun salute was delivered to the family before Lt. Jordan was lowered into the ground.

“I didn’t know a lot about my father,” said Ann Jordan Remers, daughter of Lt. Jordan. “But we had been talking about this day and I’m happy that we could finally lay my father to rest.”

For more information on DNA profiling in the armed forces, visit:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s